Septic Tank Lid Safety
Help Prevent a Tragedy
Every year, injuries occur when people fall into septic tanks. Owners of septic systems are responsible for ensuring the systems are safe and function properly, including having a secure lid on the tanks.
Take these precautions to keep yourself and your family safe by maintaining your septic system and ensuring no one accidentally falls into your tank:
- · Know where your septic system lids or covers are located.
- · Routinely inspect the septic tank lid for cracks or noticeable damage.
- · Keep the lids secure by repairing or replacing all damaged or missing parts.
- · Use bolts, screws, or other locks to secure the lids and prevent easy access.
- · Never drive or park vehicles on top of septic systems – it can damage or dislodge the cover.
- · Never leave an open lid unattended when inspecting or having your septic system pumped. Make sure the lids are secured after work is done on your septic system.
- · Teach children that the septic tank lids and not to be played on or opened.
Download this flyer here.